Dangers Of House Plants To Pets

Photo credit: Flickr

Photo credit: Flickr

House plants brighten and compliment a living space as well as our homes, but pet owners need to be very careful when buying and choosing the greenery, because some plants can be bad for dogs and cats. Here are few popular plants that you have to avoid if you have a pet.

Home asparagus

Asparagus fern (Room asparagus) is poisonous to dogs and cats because it contains a substance Saprogenic. If the pet ingest berries of that plant, it will vomit, have diarrhea and stomach pains. Also, too much exposure to asparagus in the ambient can cause inflammation of the skin in animals.


It contains a compound saponin that’s very toxic to pets. Even a small amount of this plant leads to vomiting, loss of appetite, depression and excessive salivation in dogs. One of the first signs of poisoning in cats are dilated pupils.


Dieffenbachia (Dumb Cane/Leopard Lily)

If your pet swallowed part of the plant, it will experience mouth irritation, especially the tongue and lips. This may cause difficulty in swallowing, increased salivation and vomiting.


This very succulent plant known for its beneficial effects for humans, but it can have negative effects on dogs and cats. Most species of aloe contains a poisonous substance aloin (Barbaloin)which has yellow color and bitter taste and causes vomiting and appearance of reddish urine.


It contains a similar chemical substance as Dieffenbachia, and the reactions to the poisoning of this plant are similar: oral irritation, drooling, difficulty in swallowing and vomiting.


Many plants of the lily family are toxic to cats, and some even for dogs. Cats are actually the only animals that feel the toxicity of lent and stargazer lily.

The poisoning is manifested through vomiting, lethargy and loss of appetite, but may also cause kidney failure and even death, if they are not provided with adequate veterinary care.


It is a beautiful plant flower, but poisonous to pets. It causes vomiting, salivation and diarrhea in dogs and cats. If animals eat a greater amount of cyclamen bulbs, it might result in irregular heart rate, uncontrollable tremors and even death.


This houseplant is undesirable in the apartment where cats and dogs are present. Its chemicals can cause irritation of the mouth, tongue and lips. Symptoms of poisoning are usually increased salivation, vomiting and difficulty swallowing.

Japanese tree

It is not yet determined exactly which substance in the plant causes poisoning in animals, but it is known to lead to vomiting, depression, slow heartbeat and loss of coordination.

We explained why some plants are bad for dogs and cats, but other animals can have similar reactions on different house plants as well, so we recommend that you do some research if you own a pet and want a houseplant. It is always better to know in advance what the potential negative effects are.