1. Punishment means nothing to cats. That is a fact. They are not dogs, do not waste your time. They’ll sit there purring and then continue with the same behavior.
2. Use a form of positive reinforcement. Being a cat owner, you will discover that it is difficult to catch them misbehaving. Therefore, it is much easier to reward your cat when you see good behavior. Make sure you give treats to your cat every time it do something good.
3. Keep plenty of toys. You can buy them at any pet store or make them yourself. Cats are often naughty because they are bored. They are predators by nature. When your cat slides down the curtains and runs towards the wall, it’s only practicing its predatory skills.
4. Make sure the cat is not bored while you’re gone. If your cat got used to the company, it will quickly become bored when alone and inadvertently it will start destroying things while you are at work or somewhere else.
5. Learn the value of the spray bottle of water. As we all know cat’s don’t like water and in some cases, spraying a cat with water is enough to get their attention and stop the bad behavior.
When the cat misbehaves, you squirt. Soon, cat will know that what it can’t do. However, use this method only in case of extreme misbehavior.
6. Blow at cat’s face. It may sound strange, but it works. If your cat is literally in your face, and you want to teach it to keep a certain distance and to give you some space, try this trick.
7. Make sure you cat has a room with a view. You know what they say: “Curiosity killed the cat.” A lot of cat’s negative behaviors are associated with its curiosity. Make sure that your cat can sit on the windowsill and watch the birds flying out. If your windowsill is not big enough try to expand the board.
8. Spend quality time with a cat. This might sound strange as a technique of education, but the more time you spend with your cat, the better you will be able to communicate with her. Cats definitely have well-developed communication skills.
9. You have more than one cat? Then they will probably fight sometimes. Cats are territorial animals, and every so often they will fight over territory. If a fight starts while you are in the vicinity, the first thing you need to do is stop it. The best method is spraying water. Spray the aggressor, and avoid spraying victims. Then close the aggressor in another room.